>Planning, Maintenance & Protection Services

>Emergency Preparedness






Planning, Maintenance & Protection Services

Fall Scene

Planning & Development Regulations

Planning and zoning is regulated within the municipality by the R.M. of Prince Albert Zoning Bylaw and Development Plan.

The Rural Municipality of Prince Albert is a member of The Prince Albert District Planning Commission.  Other members include the Rural Municipality of Buckland and the City of Prince Albert.   The Planning Commission was formed in 1956 to promote a  regional approach to agriculture, commercial and residential development and has been a model for others throughout the province. The Planning Commission is an advisory body and provides planning expertise to the member councils.

All new construction within the municipality requires both a Development Permit and Building Permit.

The Development Permit allows the Planning Officer to ensure that the new development meets all requirements for the zoning district in which the development will occur. Fees are as follows: Permitted Use - $100.00; Discretionary Use - $200.00. Every applicant for a building permit shall pay a fee of $50.00 plus $4.50 for every $1,000.00 estimated value of construction in excess of $10,000.00.  The estimated value of the construction of the building will be calculated by the Building Inspector.

Farm buildings which include barns, sheds, grainaries do not require a building permit.  We do ask that a development permit be submitted for farm buildings in order to ensure that they meet the setback requirements of the Zoning Bylaws. 

Farm dwellings DO require a building permit.

Please ensure that Development Permits and Building Permits are issued before any construction begins.  For further information please contact the Planning Officer at 306-764-2751.

Subdivision forms and information can be downloaded from this link:

Development Permits and Building Permits can be picked up from the Municipal Office or directly from the Planning Officer.

The Prince Albert District Planning Commission has undertaken a complete review of the District Development Plan and the Zoning Bylaw.

The New Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaws are now in effect. To view, follow the links below.


The RM has adopted a new Zoning Bylaw, which impacts all Applications for Development.

The Director of Planning has a defined level of authority.  A development permit or building permit is subject to any conditions placed on the Approval.

The authority of the RM is communicated through a Resolution of the RM Council.

If an application requires Re-Zoning or a Development Agreement, there are time and legal obligations to be met.


Until a Development Permit and a Building Permit are issued, no Person has the right to do any site work.

Please review the Zoning Bylaw and the Official Community Plan when considering any development.

The Director of Planning will be able to assist with the steps to be taken.  However, the responsibility to follow the Bylaw rests with the Applicant.

Did you know?  A Building Permit is valid for a year from the date of issue.  This means that construction must commence within the year (not be completed within a year) There is no cost for an extension which can be obtained by contacting the Planning Commission at 306-764-2751.


Prince Albert Rural Water Utility

In 1993, a Steering Committee was formed consisting of residents of the RM of Prince Albert whose aim was to ensure a safe and adequate water supply for their families and operations.

The Prince Albert Rural Water Utility was formed by bylaw through the Rural Municipalities of Prince Albert, Duck Lake and Buckland.

Facts on Receiving City Water in the Rural Municipality of Prince Albert, Buckland and Duck Lake.

New Subscriber Fee

  • If you purchase a property with water currently installed, a New Subscriber Service Connection Fee of $75.00 will be charged.

Capital Connection Cost

  • $12,000 minimum charge (Longer connections are based on construction cost).
  • $500 deposit is required.
  • There will be NO PENALTY for any prepayments at any time or paying in full.

Water Bill Cost

  • In most cases, water bills are sent out every three months, however, connections in mobile home parks and some high volume users are billed monthly. 
  • Regular water bills - $34 per month service charge, $3 per month Capital Replacement and Statutory Requirement Fund plus water charged at the current rate of $15.37 per thousand gallons.
  • Interest is charged on overdue water bills at a rate of 2.75% per month.
  • If your water bill is unpaid after a 60 day period your water will be disconnected.  If that happens, all arrears must be paid in full, along with a reconnect fee prior to the water being turned on - see reconnect feess below
    • $100 May to October
    • $150 November to April

Payment Options

Water Bill Payments:

  • Online banking
  • Automatic transfer
  • Telephone banking
  • Cash/cheque
  • Interac

Capital Connection Payments:

  • Interac
  • Cash/cheque


Road Maintenance

The Rural Municipality of Prince Albert has three full time employees and eight seasonal employees.

These outside employees are dedicated to the municipality and have responsibility for road maintenance and construction.  Several programs are in place which include:

  • Road constructionTractor and Mower
  • Road maintenance
  • Culvert installation, repair and maintenance
  • Gravelling
  • Mowing
  • Signage
  • Brush cutting
  • Custom work
  • Snow plowing

The Municipal Shop of the RM is located on Phelps Drive.

There are 605 kilometres of designated roads in the R.M. plus machinery trails and three subdivisions, Silver Willows, Aspen Estates and Southview Acres.

All municipal roads are restricted to Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation secondary weights unless otherwise posted.

The R.M. of Prince Albert has entered into a Partnership Agreement with Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation.  This Agreement is to preserve the Thin Membrane Highway for light traffic.

The weight restriction on Highway #302 East from the Cecil Ferry Road to the Weldon Ferry is 8 tonnes.  Permits will be issued through the R.M. office to those producers who have no alternative route other than Highway 302 East.  Permits will be issued to provide access to the nearest heavy haul road.

The Municipality follows the restrictions as set out by Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation in relation to spring weight restrictions. 

The R.M. owns a gravel pit in the R.M. of Duck Lake and has a leased gravel pit on the east side of the municipality.

Additional gravel is obtained by private local contractors on an as needed basis.

Two operators are assigned to the municipal mowing program.  The mowers work through the municipality and complete a top cut and also a full cut of ditches.

Custom work rates are available on this site.

Custom snow plowing such as clearing driveways, yards and access to grain bins is available.                          

A Snow Removal Agreement is required at the start of each snow fall season. The Agreement can be found under Permits on our website or can be picked up from the Municipal Office.

A red flag at the end of the driveway will advise the operator that a ratepayer is requesting snow plowing by the municipality.


Fire Protection


Dust Control

Animal & Pest Control

Weed Control

Stray Animals

Recycling Options


Disposal of Needles

Saskatchewan Water Security Agency

lake shore line